Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happiest News of the Year!!!

Remember this?



I do -- it can't be forgotten or overlooked when it's an all-day everyday painful event. The
gripping onto the wall/couch/whatever is available, the turning bright red in the face and howling in pain because she doesn't want to let her poopies out. Why? Because most every time it's ever happened before in her short little life, it's been like childbirth for her. At least that's what the look on her face reminds me of.

So.... our happy news is -- that Avery is now a member of the regular club!!

When Avery was a (FUSSY) baby the Dr. suggested she had an interolance to the milk protein so I (being her source of nutrition) stayed away from dairy until she was at least 6 months old. I don't know why the thought never occured to me, but my mom made a comment about allergies so I decided to do a little research. I read this on line along with a lot of other studies and decided to make the switch to soymilk, and take her off main dairy products -- milk, cheeses, yogurt -- everything she likes, really. After all, can't hurt considering she's been unresponsive to applejuice, prunes, more fiberous diet, Miralax, Noni Juice, glycerine suppositories, poop coaching, shall I go on??? Well, it's only been a little over a week but she's been "going" once or twice a day EVERYDAY!!! (unheard of 'round these parts) and the BEST part of it is: she doesn't hurt -- she's not scared to go anymore. It's actually a pleasant experience and I feel like we can really get a grip on potty training now.

As much as some of you may not have WANTED to hear about our bathroom issues, I'm really just getting this out there because everything I read reported pretty high percentages of kids with chronic constipation. I would have loved to have realized this sooner in her life as it has been very much a traumatic thing for her and everyone else around her. OVER AND OUT.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Congratulations. Hmmm...Aidan has chronic constipation (remember, the one who had a milk intolerance when I was nursing also?). That gives me something to think about...

Adrienne said...

We are so happy that avery can enjoy her little life even more!!

Kirsty said...

How I have loved the constipation diaries! I am so happy for you all :)Yay!!!!